Supporting and advancing a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse Carter School community.
The Carter School’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee provides support, resources, and opportunities for building an inclusive and equitable community that recognizes the value that diversity brings among our students, faculty, and staff.
With meetings and events open to everyone within the Carter School community, its board of elected members represents a range of vantage points, including undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
The DEI Committee’s mandate includes:
- Fostering and supporting a community that promotes the equitable representation and treatment of all members of the Carter School community;
- Encouraging efforts and accountability in increasing diversity and equity within the Carter School community;
- Providing and promoting opportunities for the Carter School community to develop deeper awareness of and skills to address issues and challenges negatively affecting individual community members and the community as a whole, such as historical and ongoing injustices, structural violence, power imbalances, and cultures of intolerance; and
- Serving as a resource for the Carter School community to engage with issues of diversity, inclusivity, and equity by hosting events, gathering resources for use in classrooms and other spaces, and offering suggestions for finding relevant information.
Learn more about the DEI Committee’s work and priorities for the 2020-21 academic year, and see below for the full list of our members."
To receive updates on the DEI Committee’s upcoming meetings, events, and resources, or to share comments or questions, email DEI Committee Co-Chair, Sheherazade Jafari.
DEI Committee Membership, Spring 2022
- Leslie Dwyer, Co-Chair (Faculty)
- Arthur Romano, Co-Chair (Faculty)
- Charisse Cardenas (Staff)
- Cam Cassar (MS Malta program student representative)
- Gbenga Dasylva (PhD program student representative)
- Jacob Henstrom (MS program student representative)
- Yong June Kim (GMU-Korea student representative)
- Patricia Maulden (Faculty)
- Aisha Shafi (Alumni representative)
- Julie Shedd (ex-officio; Carter School Dean’s Office)
- Solon Simmons (Faculty)