Supporting and advancing a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse Carter School community.
The Carter School’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee provides support, resources, and opportunities for building an inclusive and equitable community that recognizes the value that diversity brings among our students, faculty, and staff.
With meetings and events open to everyone within the Carter School community, its board of elected members represents a range of vantage points, including undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
The DEI Committee’s mandate includes:
- Fostering and supporting a community that promotes the equitable representation and treatment of all members of the Carter School community;
- Encouraging efforts and accountability in increasing diversity and equity within the Carter School community;
- Providing and promoting opportunities for the Carter School community to develop deeper awareness of and skills to address issues and challenges negatively affecting individual community members and the community as a whole, such as historical and ongoing injustices, structural violence, power imbalances, and cultures of intolerance; and
- Serving as a resource for the Carter School community to engage with issues of diversity, inclusivity, and equity by hosting events, gathering resources for use in classrooms and other spaces, and offering suggestions for finding relevant information.
Learn more about the DEI Committee’s work and priorities for the 2020-21 academic year, and see below for the full list of our members."
To receive updates on the DEI Committee’s upcoming meetings, events, and resources, or to share comments or questions, email DEI Committee Co-Chair, Sheherazade Jafari.
Co-Chairs: Charles Chavis and Sheherazade Jafari
- Sara Abbas, undergraduate student
- Celine Apenteng, undergraduate student
- Charisse Cardenas, Associate Director of Graduate Student Services
- Leslie Dwyer, faculty
- Chinyere Erondu, Master’s student
- Emily Linnemeier, PhD student
- Byron Phillips, alumni
- Maria Seniw, Director of Development
- Julie Shedd (Dean’s Office ex-officio representative), Associate Dean
- Solon Simmons, faculty