Why Study Here?
Your education at the Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter School for Peace and Conflict Resolution extends beyond the classroom. Students travel to conflict zones in the United States and abroad, as well as getting internships at federal agencies and organizations in D.C. Our curriculum will give you the opportunity to engage with conflict directly, gaining the skills and experience to succeed in many professions.
School in the U.S. for conflict resolution and mediation
Number of students in our program, the largest in the world
Bachelors, Masters, PhD, Graduate Certificates
Years leading the world in conflict resolution research and teaching.
Students participating in experiential learning.
Members of alumni network across diverse industries.
Conflict is part of daily life, from arguments within families and dysfunctional workplaces to polarized social and political issues to complex problems of inequality, war, and justice.
Our students come to the Carter School to learn from the leaders in peace and conflict resolution. We teach our students to identify the underlying causes of conflict and equip them with the cutting-edge theory and practical skills to put their knowledge into action, whether that be at the local, national, or global level. We also impart a thorough understanding of the values that underly these practices. We understand that “how”is as important as “why.”
Our world-recognized faculty are committed to innovative teaching and cutting-edge research, moving the educational experience beyond the classroom. Students gain skills and experience through service and experiential learning opportunities that prepare them for meaningful careers. You can find our graduates in academia, government agencies, international peacebuilding, and the private sector.
Join us as we continue to build on our strong tradition of excellence in education as the first and foremost academic institution in the field of peace and conflict studies.
- Top school in the U.S. for conflict resolution and mediation
- First university in North America to offer an MS in Conflict Analysis and Resolution
- History of educational excellence that spans 40 years and more than 2,000 alumni
- Bachelors’ and MS programs offer concentration options to customize your learning experience to your interests and career goals
- Many programs are available online
- Small, dialogue-based seminars and courses
- World-renowned faculty
- Close proximity to Washington, D.C., a hub for peacebuilding practice and policy
- Emphasis on gaining experience in the field with internships, independent research, and hands-on, practical projects
- Study abroad opportunities with faculty, including such locations as Malta, Columbia, Hungary, Israel and Palestine, Liberia, Indonesia, and South Korea